Question:
Room always has a weird smell how can I remove smell ?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Room always has a weird smell how can I remove smell ?
Five answers:
2016-04-14 03:14:11 UTC
Get a fan to move the air out and/or at least around. Ceiling fans are good for drying things up. Get a dehumidifier to remove extra moisture. If everything is damp all the time, it will smell. Clean with Odoban or spritz it and turn on the fan to dry things. You can buy it at Sam's and dilute it and it lasts forever and a gallon is under $10. It also sanitizes as well as gets rid of odors. Keep your air moving. Use fresh air instead of recirculating the room air. I had an a/c that dehumidified only on a particular setting. That's what you need. Your A/c should pull out the extra moisture. Be sure you don't have sewer gas leaking up from a drain line. That stuff smells like sulfur and is dangerous and smelly. Also check to see if there is some type of leak and something is staying wet all the time. That can give you mold as well as just stink.
Joan
2010-05-21 13:20:57 UTC
You need to figure out where the smell comes from. It could be from the walls, floor, or heating vent. If there is wall paper on the walls you ought to remove it, and then paint. If the floor is wood, it may need to be resealed, especially if there's any pet stains. Try blocking the heating vent if there is one because you could be getting drafts from the basement

Can you identify what type of smell it is? If the smell reminds you of something you've smelled before it might help you to figure out what it could be coming from. For instance, a musty, road kill kind of smell might indicate a dead rodent in the wall. What kind of comments have others made that might help you track it down. Also, don't overlook the obvious, double check under the bed, there maybe an old bagged lunch or a hidden stash of stinky gym socks. Good luck!
Al Scusi
2010-05-21 12:56:14 UTC
Look for the items of footware or clothes that smell the same as the room

Then place those items elsewhere or treat them to a wash of their own.

If you have a pet that has access to your room it may be the culprit.

Other than those perhaps the smell is getting in from an external source? It may be that cleaning the room only gives you new fresh smells that freshen things up for a time.

In other words find the source of the smell and clean THAT
2010-05-21 20:47:51 UTC
You could have old pet type stains in the carpet backing or carpet pad, from either vomit, urine, or feces. If it is urine type pet stains, or human, bacteria live in the stain and become active during high humidity, producing ammonia type odors. If you do have carpeting, you can look it over with a black, ultra violet, light. If urine, blood, or semen, the stains will glow in the darkened room by using the light. If you find any, throw the carpet, pad, and seal the floor, Do not forget to seal the floor, or odors may penetrate the new pad and carpeting. Stores that sell carpeting always have remnants available and discounted prices. Take your room measurements, including the closet dimensions along with you to the store.
Katie
2010-05-21 13:13:29 UTC
Do you have carpet? What kind of smell is it? What kind of walls do you have? Just simple painted sheet-rock? Are they dingy?

If you have carpet, I'd be quick to blame that. We rented a house with the worst smell in the world and it was the carpet. We had the carpet cleaned about a million times to no avail. However, this was a really bad case, usually you can fix it.

1. Clean the carpet. You can get an expensive professional service (Shouldn't be too bad for just one room) or rent a carpet cleaner for very cheap. I would recommend using vinegar (I know, i know, it will smell HORRIBLE whiel it's drying, but it REALLY works to neutralize smells after that) or that enzymatic carpet cleaner they sell at pet stores. Those will work WAY better than the shampoo they sell you with the carpet cleaner rental. Also, cover the area in baking soda. Add as much as you can all over the carpet. Leave it on for as long as possible, at least a couple hours, and then vacuum it out. It's a good idea to do this once in a while, but not every time you vacuum or it could hurt your vacuum cleaner.

2. It could be too humid. Try buying a dehumidifier.

3. Wipe the walls down. Test a small area so you don't damage them and either use a solution of warm water and vinegar or a solution of soap and water. Obviously, this will not work with some wall types and textures. Do small areas at a time and place a fan on them if you must.

If you have laminate or wood floors (and it sounds like you do) the source of the smell may be under them. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do in that case. You could get your floors refinished, but that's not cheap and it might not even fix it. If they are laminate, you could rip them up, and then paint this mold and smell stopping primer that you can buy at hardware stores on the underlying surface. This will almost be guaranteed to stop the smell. Then of course, you'd have to put down some new laminate again. Not exactly cheap.

Anyway, good luck. People really under estimate the smell neutralizing powers of baking soda and vinegar. They can work REALLY well, I swear! And vinegar, to most people, smells awful, but I swear it dries scent free. If you can still smell it a long time after cleaning, that means it has not fully dried, which probably suggestions that your room is very humid.

Oh, one last idea. I've never tried this, but some people SWEAR by lighting a lot of candles (any candle, it doesn't matter what kind) and closing all the doors and windows and letting them burn down. Obviously, this is kind of dangerous as you shouldn't be in a room with a lot of burning candles and no ventilation and you should also not leave a room with a bunch of candles unattended. But maybe you could leave the room and just peak in every five minutes? Also, I don't see how this could possibly work, it doesn't seem like there is any science behind it at all, but some people swear by it and say that it's totally saved their houses from smelling too awful to stand, so I don't know. Maybe it's worth a try.

Good luck! I know how horrible it can be. I'm really sensitive to bad smells. :(